Silver Medallion IRB Driver
The aim of this course is to provide participants with the skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage an Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB) in surf rescue operations.
The following nationally recognised units of competency are issued upon completion of this award:
· PUAEQU001B Prepare, maintain and test response equipment
· PUASAR014A Operate and maintain a small powercraft and motor for rescue operations
Candidates must meet ALL of the following conditions:
· Candidates must have more than 10 hours crewing experience evidenced by log
· Candidates must be at least 16 years of age to commence training
· Candidates must be at least 17 years of age on the date of final assessment
· Candidates must hold and be currently proficient in:
- Bronze Medallion and Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)
- IRB Crewperson Certificate
· Candidates must meet the local state Marine Licensing requirements
· Candidates must hold the following units of competency (normally attained on completion of the Bronze Medallion/Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)):
- PUACOM001C Communicate in the workplace
- PUAEME001B Provide emergency care HLTFA201A or B Provide basic emergency life support
- PUAOPE002B Operate communications systems and equipment OR PUAOPE013A Operate communications systems and equipment
IRB Driver assessments require an endorsed IRB assessor from another club to the candidates, who has not been involved in their training. A minimum of 2 Assessors are required with an Assessor to Candidate ratio of 1:6 for larger groups.
For more detailed information on this award, download a copy of the course syllabus here.