SLSA Surf Sport Coach training sits under the umbrella of the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS), which covers over 70 different sports throughout Australia and is managed by the Australian Sports Commission (ASC).
SLSNSW coaching courses are now accessible to members at any time through the SLSA Members Portal.
SLSA has a 5-tiered Coaching Pathway –
- Age Manager (not part of NCAS)
- Foundation Coach – targeting Parents of nippers/new club members and people with an interest in coaching.
- Development Coach – targeting Parents of nippers, parents of young athletes, current/ex surf competitors, lifesaving trainers, other sporting code coaches wishing to coach surf athletes.
- Performance Coach – for Ex-surf competitors, NSW accredited coaches wishing to coach surf sports athletes at the performance level.
- High Performance Coach - This award is reserved for selected coaches who have been identified as leaders within their chosen field and is offered and run by SLSA, not the State Centres.
There is also a Boat Sweep Award – a pre-requisite si the completion of the Development Coaching accreditation as a Boat Coach prior to completing S2 and S3 Sweep Accreditation Assessment Tool. You cannot Sweep until you have completed both the theoretical and practical components of the Development Boat Coach Accreditation. S1 sweeps do not need to complete the Development Coaching accreditation prior to their Sweep accreditation and have various restrictions.
Recognised Prior Learning (RPL)
Candidate that already have the required competencies in any of the courses can apply to have these skills recognised to acquire their coaching accreditation without completing the theory components. This requires SLSNSW approval.
For more information on coaching pathways, enrolling for courses, and award reaccreditation, visit the SLSNSW Coaching website here