SLSA's public liability and errors & omissions policy extends to include coaching of surf lifesaving activities ONLY and is subject to the following conditions:-
"Activities" are defined as:
- Those, which are part of a structured training program encompassing elements directly developing skills required for lifesaving competition.
- Those managed by an appropriately "accredited" coach/trainer.
- Those approved by Surf Life Saving Australia as competition activities.
"Accredited" coach/trainer means:
- Holding a current SLSA Surf Coach Accreditation.
- Having satisfied SLSA's member protection policy particularly the screening requirements (managed by state centres).
- Having satisfied any other requirements required by law i.e. "accreditation – working with children."
- The policy covers the coaching of registered, financial and proficient members in the following categories:-
- Junior (Nippers)
- Active (Junior and Senior)
- Active Reserve
- Long Service
Volunteer coaches do not need to be contracted to a club, but the club must approve their activity.
It may be that you have circumstances / activities that fall outside the activities listed above and therefore you may need to obtain additional insurance.
If you are employed as a coach
- you will need to take out extra insurance.
- you must be under a written contract with a club.
All coaches are encouraged to analyse their coaching activities and develop a risk minimisation plan.